Two Sarah Sackets b 1752 & 1758 #SimonColonist #ThomasElder

Ted Smith #55

Earlier today Walt Pettis sent me a message that triggered some digging. It concerned Sarah Sacket, daughter of Eliakim Sacket and Bathesda Fowler of Westfield, Massachusetts.

Weygant (p. 49) indicates that Sarah, b. 29 Aug 1758, daughter of Eilakim,  married Elna Hoyt. Thurmon King had also entered that she married a Mr. Weller but did not cite a source for that marriage. Thurmon did cite a source for Elna and Sarah's marriage that took some digging to find.

A quick search for Sarah on Ancestry.com found a Find A Grave memorial for Sarah Sackett Weller (b. 1756, d. 18 Jun 1812, buried in Pittsfield Cemetery, Pittsfield, Massachusetts; see https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/140953541 . Her husband is Justus Weller who died in 1810.

Looking in the Sackett-Tree database, there are four Sarah Sacket/Sackett entries born around this same period:
  • Sarah, daughter of Zebulon & Lucy Root Sacket was b. 6 Sep 1762 in Sheffield, Mass.
  • Sarah, daughter of Eliakim & Bathesda Fowler Sacket was b. 1758 in Westfield, Mass.
  • Sarah, daughter of Seth & Elisabeth Winchell Sacket was b. 1759 in Westfield, New York. Married Ebenzer Sedgwick. Sarah died 1841.
  • Sarah, daughter of Joseph & Sarah Vansant Sackett was b. c1756 in Wrightstown, Pennsylvania. Sarah died 1826 in Pennsylvania.
Looking at the records involving Sarah Sacket/Sackett, Elna Hoyt/Hayt, and Justus Weller, I found a birth record for Sarah (b. 29 Aug 1758 in Westfield to Eliakim and Bathesda, as expected) but no marriage of a Sarah Sacket to Elna Hoyt/Hart. Instead I found records an  Elna Hoyt/Hayt that married Eliza Piers or Parris in 1814 in Petersham and for a different Elna Hoyt, age 47, who died in 1808 in Roxbury, Massachusetts, but there is no record of any marriage for either of them to any Sacket/Sackett in Massachusetts.

However, I did find a record for a Massachusetts marriage of a Sarah Sacket to Justus Weller:

Massachusetts, Town & Vital Records, 1620-1988, (Ancestry.com) (Reliability: 3), 3 May 2020.
Name: Justus Weller
Event Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 11 Aug 1776
Marriage Place: Westfield, Massachusetts
Spouse Name: Sarah Sacket

Transcribed from image:

     Justus Weller [illegible word] Sarah Sackett both of Westfield had their names [illegible phrase] of their intention of marriage and publication. There on [illegible word] August 11, 1776.

     Justus Weller & Sarah Sackett were married Aug. 1776.

     Justus Weller son of Justus and Sarah Weller was born Nov. 5, 1776.

The record for the marriage of Sarah Sackett that married Elna Hayt is found in "Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784. Printed by order of Gideon J. Tucker, secretary of state. 1860. Albany, Weed, Parsons and company. pp. 334:

1780, Oct. 12. Sacket, Sarah, and Elna Hayt, Marriage Bonds, v. XXX, p. 63.

So it seems that there are two Sarah Sackets: One married Elna Hayt and one married Justus Weller. Of course Weygant did not cite his source, and none of these marriage records give names of parents, so we cannot be certain which Sarah really is which. But the fact that the daughter of Eliakim was born in Westfield and that one of the two marriages occurred in Westfield raises some doubt about whether the daughter of Eliakim really married Elna Hayt.

Join main@Sackett.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.