Ted Smith #55
Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York
by J.H. Beers & Co. (1897). Chicago, IL.
This book is available in several formats from https://archive.org/details/commemorativebio00beers
Excerpts that mention Sacket / Sackett
[In BARNARD, HON. JOSEPH F., in an extensive quote from the Poughkeepsie News-Telegraph about the judge's life]
"Sometimes it has seemed that the case has been by him rolled up and handed over in a very small parcel, and just a little warm from the mental forging, but it has had the thing in it that has satisfied the people, for it was right and men could see it. It is a great thing for a man to have so satisfied the conscience of all the people through thirty years of living under their gaze, and administering their affairs. Of friends the judge has many, but some of those, with whom youth and manhood were passed, have gone from earth. Other lawyers were here to strive and work with him. Judge Charles Wheaton, Homer A. Nelson, John Thompson, Edward Crummey, Cyrus Swan, E. O. Eldridge, L. B. Sackett, and others; with them, as a lawyer, he had his struggles, but he was just as readj- to help them to win their cases when he was not engaged against them, as he had been to win his own. He has greatly enjoyed the society of his legal brethren, and jokes and pleasant talks were a daily
[In GEN. ALFRED B. SMITH]
When peace was again restored Gen. Smith returned to Poughkeepsie, and resumed his practice of law in partnership with L. B. Sackett, which connection lasted some twenty years, after which he practiced alone. . . .
[In JUDGE D. W. GUERNSEY]
. . . On leaving school, at the age of seventeen, he taught for two years in Dutchess county, and then began the study of law with George W. Houghton, of Buffalo, N. Y. , who was a judge in the superior court, and a member of the legal firm of Houghton & Clark. The choice of Buffalo as the place for study was influenced by the fact that many relatives lived there, and a cousin. Guernsey Sackett, was also pursuing a course in law.
ELMER DANIEL GILDERSLEEVE, a leading merchant of Poughkeepsie, was born in the town of Clinton, Dutchess county, July 11, 1846, son of Smith J. and Rachel (Alger) Gildersleeve, and is of Scottish descent.
Henry Gildersleeve, the grandfather of our subject, was born February 13, 1765, at Hempstead, L. I., and after his marriage with Eunice Smith (who was born April 16, 1766) he settled on a farm in the town of Clinton, Dutchess county. In politics he was a Whig, in religious faith a Quaker. His family comprised eight children, whose names and dates of birth are as follows: Elizabeth, September 5, 1788; Mary, October 5, 1790; Phoebe, January 28, 1793; Sarah, September 30, 1795; Henry, October 16, 1797; Ruth, August 27, 1800; Jane, November 29, 1805; and Smith J., August 21, 1809. Of these, Phoebe married a Mr. Gurney, a farmer of Saratoga county, N. Y.; Sarah became the wife of Edward White, a farmer in the town of Chatham, Columbia county; Henry became a farmer in the town of Hillsdale, Columbia county; Ruth married Leonard Sackett, a farmer of Dutchess county; and Jane married and went west, where she died.
ROBERT G. COFFIN, the subject of this sketch, was born in the town of Washington, on what is now called the Altamont stock farm, February 12, 1823. His father was Robert Coffin, of whom see a biography in the sketch of Hezekiah R. Coffin. Our subject spent his boyhood on the farm,
[next unnumbered page has photos of Robert Coffin and his wife Eliza (nee Sackett)
attending the Nine Partners Boarding School, and later the Dutchess County Academy. After finishing his education he resumed his life on the farm of his parents where he resided until 1887, when he sold the place and bought his present property in South Millbrook.
On April 9, 1851, Mr. Coffin was united in marriage with Miss Eliza Sackett, who was born in the town of Washington, a daughter of Artemas E. Sackett, a farmer in that town. The Sackett family was an old one of the town of Stanford, where the father of Artemas E. was born. Nine children were born to our subject and his wife, namely: Kate died young; Ida L. married Dr. J. O. Pingry; Clarence died at an early age; Laura married Beverly W. Howard, a farmer in the town of Washington; Edwin married Miss Elizabeth Tomlinson, and is a farmer in Stanford ; Robert married Miss Elnora Lattin, and lives in Mamaroneck, N. Y.; Artemas S. married Julia Lattin, and is a merchant at Oak Summit; Helen M. became the wife of Dr. D. H. MacKenzie, a practicing physician at Mabbettsville; John L. married Miss Emily Crossman, and lives in Washington. Mrs. Coffin died November 28, 1894.
Mr. Coffin is a Democrat, and has been quite a prominent man in his community. He was instrumental in building the church in South Millbrook; was also an active promoter of the building of the Newburg, Dutchess & Columbia R. R. He was the first bona fide (sic) subscriber to its stock; was one of its first directors, and is still one, having served as such about thirty years. He suggested calling meetings along the entire line, at which he and others addressed the people in favor of its construction, which efforts resulted in an almost unanimous subscription to its stock. After much more hard work the road was completed, and its benefits secured to the people. Millbrook has now a fine church, a railroad, and has developed into a beautiful little village. Mr. Coffin is greatly admired for his public spirit, and possesses the esteem and respect of all who know him.
In JAMES STUART CHAFFEE. The family to which the subject of this sketch belongs is of good old Puritan stock, having been founded in the New World in 1635, at Hingham, Mass., by Thomas Chaffee, who landed at Boston a year or two previous. He removed to Hull, where he died in 1683. His son, Joseph Chaffee, married Ann Martin, of Swansea, Mass., and died in that town in 1689. His son, John Chaffee, removed to Woodstock, where Joel Chaffee, the son of John, died. Joshua, the youngest son of Joel, was born in Woodstock, Conn., in 1733, and in 1755 moved to Sharon, Conn. On July 22, 1755, he wedded Mary St. John, and they continued to live at Sharon until 1760, when they removed to Ellsworth, Conn. , where his death occurred October 8, 1789, and she passed away August 28, 1824. Their son, Joshua Bignall Chaffee, the grandfather of our subject, was born at Sharon, Conn., March 8, 1781, and became a farmer by occupation. On June 4, 1809, he was united in marriage with Ann Seymour, a daughter of Amos and Sarah (Cook) Seymour, of Plymouth, Conn., her death occurred June 4, 1819. Later he was united in marriage (December 25. 1820) with Hannah Birdsey, who was born at Cornwall, Conn., September 29, 1791. At the time of his death, the grandfather was most acceptably serving as one of the magistrates of Sharon. [TCS Comment: Joshua and Hannah also are parents of Eben Whitney Chaffee who married Amanda Fuller, sister of Adelia Emma Fuller.]
The birth of Jerome Seymour Chaffee, the father of our subject, occurred at Ellsworth, Conn., December 14. 1814, and he was there educated in the common schools. At Kent, in that State, on October 24, 1839, he was married to Miss Aritta Stuart, daughter of James and Melinda Stuart. She was born December 15, 1812, and was called to her final rest November 24, 1872. Later, the father was married (June 8, 1876), at Sharon, to Adelia Emma Fuller, who was born March 13, 1841, the daughter of Cyrus Sackett and Harriet Fuller. Until 1855 Jerome S. Chaffee continued to reside at Sharon, at which time he came to the town of Amenia, Dutchess county, where he has since engaged in farming. He is a consistent member of the Congregational Church at Ellsworth, Conn., and politically cast his first vote in support of the Whig party, later becoming an Abolitionist, and since its organization has been a stalwart Republican. By his fellow citizens he has been called upon to serve in the positions of highway commissioner and assessor. . . .
In D. C. TRIPP, M. D.
. . . Our subject, after completing his education at the schools of his native town, entered the office of Dr. S. P. Sackett, where he commenced the study of medicine. . . .
LEWIS CARMAN (deceased), who in his lifetime was a well-known business man of Bangall, Dutchess county, a dealer in coal and farm produce, and the efficient agent of the
The family name was originally Preston, and his paternal grandfather, Martin Preston, was a native of the town of Milan, Dutchess county, where, in his later years, he followed farming. He was a Quaker in religious faith; married and had three children: Ada M., who died in 1886: Leonard L., our subject's father, and Nathan C., who was in the United States naval service for many years, including the stirring times of the Civil war. He died in 1886.
Leonard L. (Preston) Carman, our subject's father, lived in New York City until the age of seven, later moving to Stanfordville, where he spent some years, meanwhile attending the schools of that village; for two winters he studied at the Nine Partners Boarding School, in the town of Washington. At the age of nineteen he was adopted by an uncle, Leonard L. Carman, of the town of Stanford, his name being changed by act of Legislature from Preston to Carman. At the age of twenty-one he took charge of the farm, on "Bangall Lane,'' relieving his adopted parents of care during their later years, and on their death, in 1860, he succeeded to the estate, where he continued to reside until his death, October 30, 1892. He was a member of the Baptist Society. In his earlier years he was a Whig, later becoming a Republican. He was twice married, first to a Miss Sackett, who died leaving no children. His second wife was Miss Emma J. Preston, a daughter of Ebenezer Preston, a leading resident of the town of Stanford. Two children were born of this union: Lewis, our subject, and Ada M., who married Joshua R. Traver (deceased) . . . .
EDGAR M. VANDERBURGH, a farmer and stock raiser, was born in the town of Canaan, Columbia county, August 26, 1820, and is the son of Martin and Mary (Halstead) Vaniderburgh. . . .
Martin Vanderburgh attained his majority in Hyde Park, and was a merchant and school teacfier. He married Miss Mary Halstead, who was born in the town of Clinton. Her father, Richard Halstead, was a native of Westchester county; he married a Miss Griffin, and they had a large family of children. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Vanderburgh moved to Canaan, Columbia county, locating on a farm; they became the parents of nine children, namely: Emeline, Susan, Oscar, Edgar M., John, Richard, Annie E., Maria, and Lucinda. Of these, Emeline died unmarried; Susan married V. J. Wilcox, a farmer in Columbia county; Oscar is a retired farmer in the town of Chatham, Columbia county; John (deceased) was a farmer and merchant; Richard was also a farmer and merchant, and is now deceased; Annie E became the wife of Sylvester S. Kady, a merchant of Jamestown; Maria married Rev. C. W. Havens, and is now deceased; Lucinda became the wife of E. W. Levensworth, a farmer and landlord in Columbia county. The parents of this family went to Columbia county in 1820, where the
father died in 1864, and the mother in 1866; in politics, Mr. Vanderburgh was a Whig, and in religious failh both he and his wife adhered to the Society of Friends.
Edgar M. Vanderburgh, the subject of this sketch, spent his boyhood days on the farm in Columbia county, and attended the district school until fourteen years of age, when he went to Canaan Center Academy. He was obliged to earn his own living, so taught school in winters and attended them in summers; but failing health prevented him from completing the classical course. He married Miss Hannah Sutherland in 1844, and they had three children: Anna, who married Philip J. Sherman, a farmer and school teacher; Amelia married Rev. U. Symonds, and died in 1882; Henry is at home. In 1845 our subject moved to the town of Stanford, where he farmed, and where his wife died in 1853. In 1870 he married Mrs. Kate (Sackett) Lockwood, the widow of John F. Lockwood, and moved to his present place at Lithgow. His wife is a descendant of one of the old families. Mr. Vanderburgh was originally a Whig, voting first for Henry Clay, and since the organization of the Republican party he has supported it at every National election, including that of 1896. He was elected superintendent of common schools in 1849, and again in 1850, '51, '52, and '53; in 1857-58, he was elected supervisor of the town of Stanford; in 1864 he was elected superintendent of the county poor, being the iirst incumbent to that office in the county, and he held it for six consecutive years.
Mr. Vanderburgh is a firm believer in the Christian religion; that Christian unity should embrace the faithful of all denominations; that Christ is more than creed; that Christianity is more than sect; and that Christian character should be the test of Christian fellowship. The following lines represent some of his ruling maxims:
What conscience dictates to be done,
Teach me to feel another's woe,
If I am right, Thy grace impart!
J SACKETT ALLING is a prominent and influential agriculturist of the town of Stanford, Dutchess county. Asa Ailing, his grandfather, came to Dutchess county from New Haven, Conn., at an early date, and located near Hunns Lake, in the town of Stanford, where he was engaged in farming during the remainder of his life. He married Jemima Purdy, by whom he had five children : Stephen, Sally, Anna, Rhoda and Asa, the last named being the father of our subject.
Upon the homestead in the town of Stanford Asa Ailing was born in 1789, and there he spent his entire life. In 1812 he was united in marriage with Cornelia Sackett, the eldest daughter of Jehiel Sackett, of the town of Stanford, and to them were born four children: Emily (deceased) was the wife of Jordan Phillips, of Hudson, N. Y.; Samantha E. was the wife of Jeremiah W. Payne, of the town of Northeast, Dutchess county ; J. Sackett is the next in order of birth ; and Laura H. is the widow of William D. Humphrey, of Jackson Corners. After the death of his first wife Mr. Ailing wedded Mary Thompson, daughter of Asa A. Thompson, and to them were born two children: John T., of Poughkeepsie, N. Y. , and Cornelia S., widow of G. F. Butts, formerly of Stanford. The latter gave his allegiance to the Democratic party, and served as supervisor and justice of the peace, while, religiously, he held membership with the Baptist Church.
J. Sackett Ailing, the subject of this sketch, spent his boyhood days upon the home farm, attending the district schools of the neighborhood, and later was a student in Amenia Seminary and the Jacob Willets Boarding School, in the town of Washington, Dutchess county. He was born May 17, 1822, and remained a member of the parental household until twenty years of age, working on the farm during the summer months, while during the winter season he taught school. In 1845 he went to New York City, where he was engaged in the carpet business some twenty years, when he returned to the old homestead, of which he purchased 170 acres, and has since lived upon that place.
In 1855, in New York City, Mr. Ailing married Miss Ann Eliza Bertine, who was born in 1835 in that city, of Huguenot ancestry. This worthy couple became the parents of nine children: Charles Sumner, who died at Seward, Neb., in 1893; Frank P., of Bangall,. Dutchess county; Robert B., a lawyer of New York City; Samuel D. (deceased); Jehiel S., of Great Falls, Mont.; Newton D., who is connected with the Nassau Bank, New York City; Asa A., of the legal firm of Hennessey, Grain & Ailing, corner of South William and Beaver streets, New York City; Lewis W., bookkeeper for the above firm; and Mary, who died in childhood. Although Mr. Ailing has reached the age of seventy-five years, he is still well-preserved and quite active. He has always been successful in his business undertakings, and by his fair and honorable dealings has won the esteem and regard of all with whom he has come in contact. Politically, he is a member of the Democratic party, and he adheres closely to the lines drawn by that organization.
FRANK BENTLEY WILBUR, an experienced farmer and most genial and companionable gentleman, has made his home on his present fine farm in the town of Stanford, Dutchess county, since 1869. He is a man of great energy and perseverance, and has effected many improvements on his place since taking possession. He is recognized as a valued addition to the community, a man possessed of excellent judgment, and giving his support and encouragement to those enterprises calculated for the general welfare.
His grandfather, Samuel Wilbur, who was a native of Milan town, Dutchess county, married Elizabeth Hicks, by whom he had eight children: George, Hiram, Ephraim, Benjamin (father of our subject), Jeptha, Cynthia, Mary and Phcebe, all now deceased save Hiram and Phcebe. The family is of English origin, and was founded in this country at an early day. The grandfather of our subject spent most of his life engaged in farming in Pine Plains, where he was a well-known and highly-respected citizen. His political support was given to the Whig party.
Benjamin Wilbur, the father of our subject, was born in the town of Pine Plains January 17, 1815, and, after completing his education in the common schools, taught there for several years. On December 10, 1842, in his native township, he was united in marriage with Miss Antoinette Bentley, a daughter of Hiram Bentley, of Pine Plains, and to them were born four children: Frank Bentley, subject of this review; Emma V., who was born January 9, 1846, and is now the wife of Charles L. Carrol, of Pine Plains; Guliette, who was born September 9, 1855, and died December 24, 1859, and Cora L. , who was born March 1, 1859, and died on the 28th of December following. After his marriage the father located upon a farm in Pine Plains town, where he followed agricultural pursuits until his death, which occurred July 23, 1893. He took a leading part in the affairs of the township, served his fellow citizens in the offices of assessor and commissioner, and was prominently identified with all public interests. Politically he was an ardent Republican in later years, and previous to the organization of that party supported the Whig candidates. He was a faithful member of the Christian Church at Pine Plains, in which, for many years, he served as deacon. His loving wife died July 12, 1893, only a few days previous to his death.
Frank B. Wilbur remained at home until his marriage, assisting his father in the operation of the farm during the summer months, while in the winters, during his boyhood days, he attended the district schools, where he acquired a practical education, and was thus fitted for the responsible duties of life. In the town of Stanford, October 19, 1869, he married Miss Mary B. Sackett, daughter of Phineas K. Sackett, of that township, and they have become the parents of three children, namely:
Nina B., who was born March 12, 1871, and who was married June 20, 1894, to Henry E. Cornehus, of Stanford town (they have two children: Elinor, born April 26, 1895, and Mary, born December 29, 1896); Mae S., born October 9, 1873, and Effie G., born October 7, 1878. On July 17, 1895, Mr. Wilbur was called upon to mourn the loss of his estimable wife, who had ever been a faithful companion and helpmeet to him.
Politically our subject is a stanch adherent of the doctrines formulated by the Republican party, finding in that organization what to him seem the principles most calculated to perpetuate our form of popular government. He is one of the prominent and representative men of his township, looked up to and esteemed by the entire community.
DAVID BRYAN, a well-known and prosperous agriculturist of the town of Amenia, is a worthy representative of a family that for a century and a half has been prominently identified with the best interests of Dutchess county.
The first of the family of whom there is any record was Alexander Bryan, who lived in Connecticut, here his death occurred in 1760. In his family were two sons and one daughter, namely: Elijah, Ezra and Sarah. Ezra Bryan, the second in this family, was the grandfather of our subject. He was born November 30, 1740, and at the age of twenty-one was married, in Newtown, Conn. , to Sarah Peck. From there the young couple made their way on horseback to the town of Northeast, Dutchess county, where Mr. Bryan took up a farm of 400 acres, and cultivated it in connection with his trade of cabinet making. He was a member of the Society of Friends, and through his loyalty to the Colonial government lost the bulk of his property in supporting the Revolutionary cause. He died while on his way to meeting, July 7, 1825.
Amos Bryan, the father of our subject, was born in the town of Northeast ( formerly Amenia), January 31, 1779, and was the youngest in the family of five children. His education was obtained in the district schools of his native town, and on reaching manhood he purchased 150 acres of the old homestead from the other heirs, which he operated. He also carried on the fanning-mill business, and, together with Calvin Chamberlain, originated the "Chamberlain Plow." He took quite a prominent part in public affairs, serving as assemblyman in 1840, and also as supervisor and justice of the peace. By birthright he was a Quaker, and died in that faith April 12, 1863. In the town of Northeast, Dutchess Co., N. Y., on October 14, 1804, Amos Bryan was married to Betsey Finch, who was born October 5, 1 78 1, and died May 24, 1863. Their family consisted of nine children: Laura, born in 1805, died in 1831; Ward W., born April 12, 1807, died December 14, 1863; Eliza, born March 16, 1810, became the wife of Henry
Sisson, of the town of Wasliington, Dutchess county, and died September 3, 1884; Ezra, born March 4, 1812, died March 22, 1876; Isaac, born August 25, 1815, died September 14, 1885; James, born November 27, 1817, died March 16, 1839; David is next in order of birth; Mary, born December 9, 1822, died November 11, 1853; and Sarah, born April 10, 1825, died April 15, 1872.
The birth of David Bryan occurred at the family homestead in the town of Northeast, September 22, 1819. He began his education in the district schools, and the knowledge there acquired was supplemented by a term's attendance at the Peekskill Military Academy and by a course in the Banks boarding schools at Dover Plains, Dutchess county. He remained upon the home farm and carried on the fanning- mill business until i860. Removing to the "Square" in the town of Northeast, he bought the farm of Judge Smith, comprising 454 acres, where he lived until the fall of 1884, when he came to his present place in the town of Amenia.
On October 21, 1854, Mr. Bryan was united in marriage with Miss Annvennette L. Sackett, a daughter of Phineas K. Sackett. Her death occurred July 21, 1858, and at Astoria, Long Island, March 20, 1867, he was again married, this time to Miss Cornelia T. Willson (daughter of John H. Willson), by whom he had one son, Frederick, born August 23, 1868, and died June 26, 1872. In his political views Mr. Bryan coincides with the Republican party, whose ticket he usually supports, and previous to the organization of the party he was a Whig. He has ever taken a commendable interest in the upbuilding and prosperity of his native county, and by his fellow-citizens has been called upon to serve in several positions, including those of supervisor, assessor and justice of the peace in the town of Northeast. He is a stockholder and at present a director in the First National Bank of Amenia.
ARTEMAS SACKETT BARTON, a valued citizen and popular business man of Pine Plains, Dutchess county, is a native of Columbia county, N. Y., born at Ancram October 30, 1838, and is descended from an old English family that long made their home in Dutchess county. His great-grandfather was Josiah Barton, of the town of Stanford, and his grandfather, Dr. Leonard Barton, who was born in that town, was one of the early practitioners of the county.
Dr. Leonard Barton married Rachel Gale, granddaughter of William Gale, and daughter of Josiah and Rachel (Mead) Gale, who lived in Stanford, and had eight daughters and two sons, as follows: Sarah Gale, born October 17, 1767, married Henry Kinney; Rebecca, born March 23, 1769, married Enoch Goodridge; Rachel, born February 2, 1771, married Leonard Barton; Phebe, born April 6, 1773, married Andrew Finch; Roba, born July 26, 1775, married Lewis Austin; Nancy, born April 19, 1777, married Henry Griffin; Betsey, born April 19, 1779, married Nathan Beckwith; Clorinda, born November 12, 1783, married Ebe Lete; Josiah, born August 11, 1786, died in 1809; and George W., born December 3, 178- (sic), married Harriet Sheldon. Dr. Leonard Barton and his wife had eleven children, as follows: Hiram; James married Caroline Canfield; Nelson, not married; George W. married Elizabeth Hoffman; Josiah married Eliza Briggs; Edward married Malissa J. Worthy, of Northeast town; Eliakim married Tammy Germond; Julia married Morgan Hunting; Sally married Anthony Hoffman; Rachel married Stephen Sackett; Nancy married John Davis.
George W. Barton, the father of our subject, was also born in the town of Stanford, Dutchess county. May 14, 1795, and was a farmer by occupation. He became quite wealthy, owning two farms, each of 250 acres, in Columbia county, one in the town of Ancram and the other on Pugsley's Hill, the old homestead. He was a man of great natural ability, and was essentially self-made. He was identified with the Democratic party in politics, and attended the Presbyterian Church. He died September 17, 1872, and his wife died August 26, 1879. He had married Elizabeth Hoffman, daughter of Henry Hoffman, who lived near Bethel, N. Y. , and to them were born nine children: Mariette, born March 1, 1824, married Warden Hiserodt, of New York City, and died September 12, 1873; William H., born August 25, 1825, married Cornelia Decker, and died January 24, 1879; George, born May 19, 1827, married, first, Sarah Collins, and, second, Mary French, and resides in the town of Northeast, Dutchess county; Catherine, born December 15, 1829, wife of William McArthur, of Wisconsin; Rachel, born December 16, 183 1, married James Collins, of the town of Northeast; Leonard, born December 14, 1834, married Henrietta Pulver, and is now living in the same town; Anthony H., born July 4, 1836, married, first, Emily Sackett, and, second, Isaphene Wilkinson, and resides in Pine Plains town; Artemas S., subject of this review; and Frederick, born May 24, 1841, married, first, Libbie Hoysrodt, and, second, Zada Tripp, and resides at the old homestead in the town of Ancram, Columbia county, which he owns, and also a half interest in the old Dr. Barton homestead in the town of Stanford. The children were lovers of music, especially our subject, who organized a string band, called "Barton's Band," composed of his brother, uncle and others, and playing for nearly all the public and private parties in northern Dutchess and southern Columbia counties, from 1865 to 1880, the music not so artistic, but the prompting excellent.
The education of our subject was such as the district school of the neighborhood afforded, and he early became familiar with the duties of the agriculturist. Being a great reader, he has become a well-informed man, and is posted on the current events of the day.
On leaving home at the age of twenty-four, he opened a general store at Ancram Lead Mines, which he conducted three years, and the following year he spent in Wisconsin and Iowa. He was then with the Van Ambergh show for a year, and on returning to Pine Plains, he worked on the railroad for the same length of time, building fences. He was next engaged in the commission business, dealing in coal and hay from 1882 until 1893, when he removed to his present site, buying a part of the Clark estate, where he now carries on the lumber trade. He has been quite successful, and is one of the steady-going, reliable business men of Pine Plains.
Mr. Barton has been twice married, his first wife being Anna Rockafeller, of Columbia county, who died in 1866. For his second wife he chose Jane Tripp, daughter of DeWitt Tripp, who has lived in both Pine Plains and Northeast town, Dutchess county. Two children grace this union, Carrie and Artie. Socially, Mr. Barton is prominently identified with the Masonic order, being one of the oldest members of Stissing Lodge No. 615, F.& A. M., in which he has filled nearly all the chairs. He is a stanch adherent of the Democratic party. For three terms he served as justice of the peace, was pathmaster two years, and inspector of elections for a number of years at Pine Plains; while in Ancram he served for about three years as town clerk. He takes an active interest in public affairs, and earnestly supports measures for the benefit of the community. He attends the Methodist Church.
Henry Hoffman, father of our subject's mother, married Catherine Betesle, and lived in Ancram, Columbia county. They had the following children: Margaret, born September 25, 1786, married Rowland Sweet; Catherine, born October 12, 1788, died young; Eleaner, born December 28, 1790, married Walter Dorchester; Henry J., born May 17, 1793, married Almyra Culver; Polly, born August 27, 1795, married Jeremiah Conklin; Catherine (2), born January 28, 1798, died young; an infant, born in 1799; Betsey, born May 28, 1800, married G. W. Barton; Laura, born June 23, 1803, married Artemas Sackett; Anthony, born September 15, 1805, married Sally Barton. The father of this family was born January 6, 1761, and died in 1840; the mother was born January 6, 1762, and died in 1850.
Anthony Hoffman resided in the town of Pine Plains, and he and his wife had four daughters and three sons, as follows: Henry, born December 26, 1829, married Mary A. Strever; Sarah, born December 6, 1831, married Herman Snyder; Leonard, born November 24, 1833, died January 8, 1865; Catherine, born February 22, 1835, married J. C. Hoag; Julia, born October 30, 1837, married Elias Halsted; Laura, born January 20, 1840, married Edgar Eggleston; and Anthony, born September 8, 1844, not married, died November 21, 1882.
HENRY HOFFMAN, who was born on January 26, 1829, in the town of Pine Plains, Dutchess county, was there successfully engaged in farming for many years. He was a worthy representative of an old and honored family of the locality. The founder of the family in the New World was Hendrick Hoffman, his great-grandfather, who was born in Germany about 1719, and on crossing the water located in Ancram, Columbia Co., N. Y., where he secured the farm now occupied by his great-grandson, Frederick Barton. By his marriage with Sybil Magdalene Yunghans he became the father of three children: Henry, who was the grandfather of our subject, was born in Ancram January 6, 1761; Matthias, who married Anna Maria Strever, and Margaret, who wedded a Mr. Talmadge, of Rensselaer county, N. Y., a distant relative of T. DeWitt Talmadge.
The grandfather came to the town of Pine Plains, Dutchess county, in 1812, locating on the hill where the Hoffman Mills now stand, and in this town he spent the remainder of his life, dying in 1840. He was one of the most prosperous farmers of the vicinity, owning 500 acres of valuable land. His wife, who was born January 6, 1762, survived him about ten years. On January 15, 1786, he had married Catherine Veterle, of Red Hook, N. Y., and they became the parents of ten children, namely: Margaret, born September 25, 1786, married Rowland Sweet, of Copake, Columbia Co., N. Y. ; Catherine, born October 12, 1788, died unmarried; Eleanor, born December 28, 1790, married Walter Dorchester; Henry, born May 17, 1793, married Almira Culver, of Pine Plains; Polly, born August 27, 1795, married Jeremiah Conklin, of Pine Plains; Catherine, born January 28, 1798, died in childhood; one child, born June 15, 1799, died in infancy; Betsey, born May 28, 1800, married George Barton; Laura, born June 23, 1803, married Artemas Sackett, of the town of Washington, Dutchess county; and Anthony was born in Ancram, Columbia county, September 15, 1805. . . .
In Lewis B. Barton
Dr. Leonard Barton, the grandfather, was born there in 1769, and he also devoted his life to the practice of medicine in the town of Stanford, where he owned a large farm, and was a prominent and influential citizen, holding several important offices. As early as 1797 he served as town clerk, and was supervisor of his township in I SiS, 1819, 1820, 1829 and 1830. His political support was given the Democracy, and socially he affiliated with the Masonic fraternity. He was twice married.
his first wife being Miss Thompson, and to them was born a son, John. After her death he wedded Rachel Gale, and they had ten children: George; James; Eliachim; Edward P., of New Milford, Conn.; Josiah L. ; Julia, who married Morgan Hunting; Rachel, who married Stephen Sackett; Nancy, who married John Davis; Nelson, who died in 1852; and Sarah, who married Anthony Hoffman. All are now deceased with the exception of Edward P. ; Dr. Leonard Barton deceased in 1841, at the age of seventy-two years.
In John Campbell
The elementary education of Charles W. Wright was such as the common schools of Bangall afforded, and he later became a student in Sackett's private school, in the town of Stanford.
In Frank P. Lasher
Until eighteen years of age Frank P. Lasher remained upon the home farm, . . . . In 1871 he came to Pleasant Valley and engaged in the tin and plumbing business with Henry Sacket, under the name of Lasher & Sacket, the connection continuing for three years, when our subject bought out his partner.
NATHAN CASE SACKETT. While "the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong," the invariable law of destiny accords to tireless energy, industry and ability a successful career. The truth of this assertion is abundantly verified in the life of our subject, who is one of the prosperous farmers of the town of Stanford, Dutchess county.
His birth took place January 5, 1835, in that town, where the family had long resided. There his grandfather, Samuel Sackett, carried on farming, and reared to maturity a family of nine children, namely: Orville, Aaron, Clara, Ann, Jeannette, Samuel H., Harry, Lucinda and Polly. He was a Baptist in religious views, and in politics was identified with the Democratic party.
Samuel H. Sackett, the father of our subject, was also a native of the town of Stanford, where he was reared and educated, and on attaining manhood married Amy Case, daughter of Nathan Case, of the town of Milan, Dutchess county. Seven children blessed this union: Nathan C. ; Jane, deceased wife of L. Fradenburg; Sarah, wife of Sanford Adams, of the town of Stanford; .Amy Ann; Phebe, who died
in infancy; Mary D., wife of Samuel Wheeler, deceased; and Johanna, wife of Cortland Robinson, of Hyde Park, Dutchess county. The father continued to follow farming in the town of Stanford until his death, in 1880, and his wife, who preceded him to the other world, died in 1875. They were members of the Baptist Church, and he was an earnest supporter of the Democratic party.
Like most farmer lads, Nathan C. Sackett spent the days of his childhood and youth attending the district schools and assisting in the labors of the farm, and remained under the parental roof until twenty-six years of age. He was then married to Miss Deborah Ann Morey, daughter of Isaac Morey, and sister of L. L. Morey.
Mr. Sackett operated a farm in the eastern part of the town for a year, and the year previous he had resided in the western part of the same town. He was then for twenty-one years with Gilbert Cooper, and on leaving that gentleman came to his present farm of 200 acres of rich and arable land, where he has now made his home for fifteen years. Essentially he is a self-made man, his entire possessions being the result of his own unaided efforts. Politically, he is a stanch Democrat; religiously, he and his wife are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church; socially, he holds membership with the Grange.
ALBERT AND FRANKLIN CLINE. Among the enterprising and prosperous farmers of the township of Amenia, Dutchess county, who thoroughly understand the vocation which they follow, and are therefore enabled to carry on their chosen occupation with profit to themselves, are the brothers whose names introduce this sketch. They are now actively engaged in agricultural pursuits and the milk business in the township which has always been their home, and where they are both widely and favorably known.
The founder of the family in this country was Peter Klein, a native of Germany, who left the Fatherland about 1752 or 1753, and on reaching the shores of the New World first located at Rhinebeck, Dutchess Co., N. Y., but in 1760 removed to the farm now known as the E. E. Cline place, in the town of Amenia, between South Amenia and Amenia Union. He was a "redemptioner," serving his time for his passage to this country.
He left one son, John Cline, who was born at Rhinebeck in 1756, and died in the town of Amenia in 1845. There he acquired his education and on the home farm where he was reared he spent his entire life, engaged in farming. He married Lucy Phillips, and they became the parents of nine children, whose names and dates of birth are as follows: Betsey, September 25, 1784; Peter, February 20, 1787; Allen, December 9, 1788; Philo, November 6, 1791; Asenath, October 26, 1793; Clarissa, January 12, 1796; Ebenezer H., April I, 1798; Polly, April 26, 1801; and Julia B. , March 30, 1803. Of this family, Asenath lived to an advanced age, dying April 1, 1891.
Philo Cline, the fourth in order of birth, is the father of our subjects. Upon the old home farm in the town of Amenia he was reared, attending the district schools of the neighborhood, and completing his education in a select school at Sharon, Conn. Owing to an accident which injured his foot in his younger days, he was unable to do active farm work, and about 1824 erected the store building at South Amenia now occupied by M. F. Winchester, where he engaged in the mercantile business until 1838, when he sold out. In 1840 he purchased the farm which is still occupied by his son Franklin, and there lived up to the time of his death, which occurred December 26, 1864. In his daily life and action he was ever genial and affable, winning many friends and the respect of all. In politics he was first a Whig and later a Republican, and efficiently served as supervisor of his town. In the town of Amenia in February, 1827, he married Miss Harriet Swift, daughter of Moses Swift, who died April 9, 1838, at the age of seventy-three years. Mrs. Cline was born September 24, 1796, and departed this life April 11, 1861. The only children born of this union were our subjects.
Albert Cline was born . . .
Franklin Cline was born July 17, 1831, and also spent his boyhood days in the town of Amenia. His primary education was obtained in the district schools, and in 1848 was a student in the Nine Partners Boarding School. He has always turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, and, beside his general farm work, is also successfully engaged in the milk business. In the town of Stanford, Dutchess county, on October 11, 1856, he married Lydia A. Sackett, daughter of John Thompson Sackett, and they became the parents of two children: Guernsey Sackett, born April 30, 1858; and Maria L., who was born December 16, 1861, and is now the wife of Frank M. Buck, an attorney at law of Mount Vernon, N. Y., by whom she has two children—Franklin Cline and Helen H. Like the other members of the family, Mr. Cline has been a lifelong Republican, and he has ably served as assessor of his town.
As representative farmers of the town of Amenia, the entire lives of the Cline brothers have been of unusual activity and industry, and they well deserve the high regard in which they are held by their fellow citizens.
ANTHONY H. BARTON is the owner of a fine farm of 200 acres, pleasantly located in the town of Pine Plains, Dutchess county, which he has been operating successfully since 1864. He has been the architect of his own fortune, and has never been afraid of putting his shoulder to the wheel whenever necessary. His land has been brought to a high state of cultivation, largely by the labor of his own hands, and he is the possessor of good farm buildings, to which each year he adds something to enhance the beauty and value of his property. He takes great delight in landscape gardening, and his place is, therefore, one of the most beautiful to be found in the town of Pine Plains.
Mr. Barton was born in Columbia county, N. Y., July 4, 1836, and is a son of George W. Barton. His educational privileges were quite good, and on leaving school at the age of seventeen years he aided his father in the operation of the home farm until his mar-
riage. In 1858 he wedded Emily M. Sackett, daughter of Allen Sackett, of the town of Stanford, and to them were born five children: Sarah E., born March 18, 1859, married September 13, 1877, to Albert Keller, of Stanford, N. Y. (they have one son, Herbert); one that died in infancy; Frank (proprietor of the"Stissing House" at Pine Plains), born March 23, 1864, married December 4, 1883, to Myra Rosa, of Ulster county (no children); Cora R., born July 18, 1862, married April 25, 1889, to Willis Wright, of Syracuse (they have two children, Herbert and Howard); and Fred, who was born on the present farm of our subject November 13, 1865, married February 28, 1883, to Lizzie Moore, of the town of Milan (has one child, Roy), and is engaged in carpentering and painting in the village of Pine Plains. The mother of these children died in 1876, and Mr. Barton was afterward married to Isophime Wilkinson, daughter of Sidney T. Wilkinson, of Hammerton, New York.
A year after his first marriage Mr. Barton rented the farm now owned by Mrs. Eban Husted, but at the end of a year he removed to the Dr. Barton farm, in the town of Stanford, owned by his father, and besides its cultivation he also gave considerable attention to stock dealing. He next lived upon the farm owned by his father at Boston Corners, from which he removed to the Joshua Culver place, near Carman's Mills. After residing there for about a year, Mr. Barton purchased for $15,000 the farm of 200 acres which he now occupies. About ten years after locating upon his present farm he began speculating in stock, grain, hay, straw and other farm produce, in which he was quite successful. For a quarter of a century he was also engaged in auctioneering, and does most of the business along that line throughout his section of the county. In his first venture in farming at Boston Corners, Columbia county, he had no capital; but buying cows on credit and selling them again, secured his first start in life. In his early experience with his father, who was exceedingly economical, he learned the value of a dollar, which came to be worth thousands to him later, and he has always been an able financier.
Mr. Barton has always taken an active part in local politics, and is a strong supporter of the Democratic party, has served as highway commissioner twelve years, assessor two years, and overseer of the poor for about one year. Public-spirited and enterprising, he has taken a foremost part in the upbuilding and advancement of his locality. Socially, he is prominently identified with Stissing Lodge No. 615, F. & A. M., and in religious belief is a Presbyterian, while Mrs. Barton is a Methodist.
George W. Barton, father of our subject, born in the town of Stanford, Dutchess county. May 14, 1795, died September 17, 1872. He was a very peculiar man; was never known to have but one suit of clothes at a time, which he wore every day of the week, including Sundays He did his own hair-cutting (with a jack-knife) and shaving (without any mirror), and yet hardly a day passed but what he had from three to five dollars in his pocket. His wife, Elizabeth (Hoffman), born May 28, 1800, died August 26, 1879. They had nine children, to wit: Mariette, born March 1, 1824, married Warden Hoysradt, and died September 12, 1873 (no surviving children); William H., born August 25, 1825, married Cornelia Decker, and died January 24, 1879 (no children); George W., Jr., born May 19, 1827, married (first) Julia Collins (two children), and wedded (second) Mary French (no children); Catherine, born December 15, 1829, married William McArthur (no surviving children); Rachel, born December 16, 1831, married James Collins (one child); Leonard, born December 14, 1834, married Henrietta Pulver (three children); Anthony H., the subject proper of this sketch; Artemus S., born October 30, 1838, married (first) Mariette Rockafeller (no children), and wedded (second) Jane Tripp (two children); and Fred, born May 24, 1841, married (first) Elizabeth Hoysradt (six children), and wedded (second) Zadie Tripp (no children).
JUSTUS P. REYNOLDS, a leading and progressive citizen of the town of Amenia, Dutchess county, was there born on what is now known as the J. O. Peters place, January 24, 1833, and belongs to a family that was established in this country soon after the landing of the pilgrims at Plymouth Rock. The first to arrive in the New World was Robert Reynolds, a native of England, who was living in Watertown, Mass., in 1634, and later became a resident of Boston. His son, Nathaniel Reynolds, was born in that State, and in 1680 emigrated to Bristol, R. I., becoming one of its first settlers. He had previously married Priscilla Brackett, and their son Joseph was born in Massachusetts, December 20, 1676, and died January 16, 1759. The latter wedded Phoebe Leonard, and among their children was Joseph Reynolds, who was born in Rhode Island, November 15, 1719, and died September 14, 17S9. He married Lydia Greenwood.
Joseph Reynolds was a prominent patriot during the Revolutionary war. Gen. LaFayette stayed at his house during the occupancy of the town of Bristol. Later, when the British took the place, Mr. Reynolds and his servant were taken prisoners and confined in a prisonship in the harbor. He suffered great privations in that vermin-infested ship, but was finally exchanged for a British officer. Gen. LaFayette visited him on his return to America in 1824. The house in which he was entertained was built (according to the history of the town) about the year 1700, and is still standing in a fine state of preservation, and is owned and occupied by one of his descendants. The room in which Gen. LaFayette slept is preserved in its original state.
George Reynolds, the son of Joseph and Lydia (Greenwood) Reynolds, was the grandfather of our subject. He was born at Bristol, R. I., November 7, 1756, and at that place was united in marriage with Abigail Peck, by whom he had five children: Jonathan P., Lydia, George, Joseph, and Abigail, who married Philo Reed. In 1794 the grandfather came to the town of Amenia, Dutchess county, locating upon a farm near the village of Amenia, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death, which occurred in April, 1808.
George Reynolds, the father of our subject, was also a native of Bristol, R. I. , born November 15, 1788, received a district school education, and remained under the parental roof for some years. At Amenia was celebrated his marriage. May 26, 1819, with Miss Abigail Pennoyer, daughter of Jonathan Pennoyer, and to them were born four children, namely: George Greenwood, born February 7, 1821, is an ex-judge of Brooklyn, N. Y. ; Caroline, born January 23, 1826, died March 28, 1829; Mary, born May 18, 1830, became the wife of George Kirby, and died October 15, 1874; Justus Powers, subject of this sketch, completes the family. After his marriage the father bought the Peters farm, north of Amenia village, where he lived until 1834, when he purchased the E. J. Preston place, south of Amenia, there dying January 31, 1873, in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His political support was first given the Whig and, later, the Republican party, and he acceptably served as assessor of his town. He was a straightforward, honorable man, who had the confidence and esteem of all who knew him.
Justus P. Reynolds spent his boyhood days in the town of Amenia, and acquired his education in the district schools and the Amenia Seminary. In i860 he purchased the Jordan farm, near South Amenia, where he made his home, until removing to his present place near the same village in 1869. He has continued to follow the occupation to which he was reared, with results that are satisfactory; the reward of well-directed labors.
In the town of Amenia, January 31, 1863, Mr. Reynolds led to the marriage altar Miss Nancy Barlow, daughter of Elisha Barlow, and to them were born six children: George, who married Clarabel Williams, daughter of William Williams, and has two children, Howard B. and Edward D. ; Abbie L.; Lucy B., wife of John T. Sackett, of Brooklyn, N. Y., by whom she has one daughter, Justine R. ; Edward G. ; Francis B. ; and Bertha May, deceased. Mr. Reynolds affiliated with Shekomeko Lodge, when it was at Mabbettsville, Dutchess county. In politics he is independent, voting for the man whom he thinks best qualified to fill the office, regardless of party ties, but favors Democratic principles. He takes a commendable interest in the prosperity and advancement of his native county.
[Photo on following page]
SMITH J. SACKETT is one of the most prosperous and successful farmers of the town of Stanford, Dutchess county, owning 300 acres of valuable land there. He is numbered among the self-made men of the county, his accumulations being the result of his own industry, obtained by self-denial and economy, and the exercise of a naturally good judgment, both in regard to agricultural pursuits and business matters. Stanford town has always been the field of his operations, and the center of his hopes and interests, for since his birth, which occurred March 19, 1844. he has there made his home.
His father, Leonard Sackett, was born in the town of Stanford, September 7, 1797. In the schools of the neighborhood of his boyhood home he obtained his education, and he remained upon the home farm until his marriage. He married Ruth Gildersleeve, a native of the town of Clinton, Dutchess county, and they had the following children: Joel, born June 29, 1828, is now deceased; Cordelia, born April 28, 1830, is the wife of Elias Thompson, of Pine Plains, Dutchess county; Eunice was born March 8, 1832; Jane Elizabeth, born August 10, 1834, has passed away; Hiram L. was born August 15, 1837; Emily, born August 13. 1839, is the wife of Theron Knickerbocker; Sarah M., born February 17, 1842, is also deceased; Smith J. is next in or-
der of birth, and Henry, born in December, 1847, has departed this life. The father's death occurred May 17, 1866, that of the mother on July 25, 1878. Most of their married life was passed on a farm near Stissing, Dutchess county, which Mr. Sackett operated. With the Baptist Church of Bangall they held membership, and in his political views the father was first a Whig, later a Republican.
The education of Smith J. Sackett was such as the district schools of the town of Stanford afforded, and on reaching his majority he left his parental roof, starting out in life with no capital. For some time he operated farms on shares, but in 1880, in connection with his brother Henry, he purchased his present farm, and the following year bought another. With him, his brother Hiram and sister Eunice find a pleasant home.
Mr. Sackett has never taken an active part in politics, although keeping himself well informed on matters of general interest, and uniformly votes the straight Republican ticket. To enterprises calculated for the general welfare of the people around him he has ever been a cheerful and liberal contributor.
In MARCUS D. MARCY,
William Fero. the third child and first son of John and Adelaide Fero (sic), was born in 1865, and is now an engineer on the Harlem railroad. He married Minnie Rider, by whom he has had four children: Addie, born in 1875, died young; Ida, born in 1885; John, born in 1880; and William, in 1893. Mrs. William Fero is a descendant of one of the old families of Bangail, and her grandfather, Thompson Rider, was a native of that place. He was a carpenter by trade, and was an active member of the Masonic Lodge of Bangail. His first wife, Sarah Bailey, was a daughter of Joseph Bailey,
a well-known resident of that village, and his second wife was a Miss Davis. There were five children by the first marriage, (1) Emma married George Tompkins, a carpenter, and had six children: Annie, George, Jennie, and three others whose names are not known. (2) Landon died in the army. (3) David, a carpenter by trade, married Miss Eliza Piatt, and had one son, Harry. (4) Legrand died at the age of twenty-two. Albert, Mrs. Fero's father, was born at Bangall, in 1843, and after receiving a common-school education in his native village, he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for many years. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. His wife, Sarah Sackett, was a daughter of George and Rachel Sackett, and her father was a leading farmer in the town of Washington. Eleven children were born of this union: Emma married Harry Hardstay, and has had four children; Anna is at home; Lillie married George Coolman, and has had one daughter, Anna; Agnes is not married; Minnie married Mr. Fero; Josie died in infancy; and Bert, Charles, John, William and Albert are not married. [TCS Note: George, Rachel, and Sarah Sackett information could not be confirmed in the TSFA database; other sources have Catherine from Ireland as Albert Fiero's wife and mother of his children, and census records for 1860 and 1870 show Catherine, not Sarah, as Albert;s likely wife, with several of the listed children being born between 1860 and 1870.].