Re: Excerpt from Rev. John Moore of Newtown, Long Island, and some of his descendants #ThomasElder #SimonColonist
Ted Smith #55
On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 10:09 PM, Ted Smith #55 wrote:
Here is another excerpt from the Rev. John Moore genealogy, pp. 54 & 75-76. Note that the work uses aet. (Latin aetatis = age; aged) throughout and, when someone has multiple wives, uses a line of asterisks ( * * * * * * ) to separate the children of each. The list of children here includes a few additional dates, such as the death date of Jemima Moore, that are not available in Weygant. The work also uses superscript numbers not only for descendants of Rev. John Moore but also for one of the ancestral lines of many spouses.
Capt. Samuel Moore2 and Elizabeth Reed had
. . .
37. Joseph3, b. Dec. 11, 1679, Newtown, L. I., m. 1705±, 1. Elizabeth Sackett4 (Joseph3, Simon2, Simon1), b. 1683±, d. Sept. 1716; 1717, 2. Sarah Sackett4 (Joseph3, Simon2, Simon1), b. 1689, d. Sept. 25, 1760, aet. 71; he d. suddenly July 10, 1756, aet. 77 (will).  [TCS Note: Joseph is the second child listed.]
. . .
37. Joseph Moore3 (Capt. Samuel2, Rev. John1) and Elizabeth Sackett4 (Joseph3, Simon2, Simon1) and Sarah Sackett4 (Joseph3, Simon2, Simon1).
Joseph Moore3 owned the part of Capt. Samuel Moore's estate near the Poor Bowery. It afterward was bought by John Moore4, the son of Capt. Samuel3, and later became the property of Samuel Hallett Moore. (See Capt. Samuel Moore2). . In 1707-1709 he was Assessor of Newtown; Commissioner of Highways, 1720-1. A lot was deeded, to him and five others, upon which to build a schoolhouse, in 1721. He was active in the establishment of the Episcopal Church, at Newtown (see Introduction). His will, dated June 11, 1753, probated 1756, is on record in the Surrogate's office, New York. He left to his son Joseph4, who married Helena ___, of Hopewell, N. J., "weaver's loom, tackling, &c., horse and negro man amounting to £80, 10s."
Elizabeth Sackett4 and Sarah Sackett4 were daughters of Joseph Sackett3, who was born at Springfield, on the Connecticut River, February 23, 1656, probably removed to Newtown with his grandfather, William Bloomfield, in 1662, where he acquired a large estate, and ___ ___,[Footnote: The unrecorded will of Simon Sackett4, brother of Elizabeth and Sarah, is in the Department of State, Trenton. N J. He was of Hopewell, N. J. Joseph Sackett3, m. 1. Elizabeth Betts (Capt. Richard), 2. Anna ____. 3. Mercy Whitehead, widow of Thomas Betts.] granddaughters of Simon1, who took the oath of fidelity at Springfield in 1656, died July 9, 1659, aet. 29, and Sarah, daughter of William Bloomfield, great-granddaughters of Simon1, a Puritan emigrant to New England, who came from the Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, and located at Cambridge, Mass., about 1628-9, where he died in 1635, and ___.
Joseph Moore3 and Elizabeth Sackett and Sarah Sackett had
338. Sarah4, b. September 29, 1706. m. January 11, 1728, Benjamin Fish3 (Nathan2, Jonathan1), b. May 12, 1697, d. Oct. 18, 1773; she d. March 17, 1790 ; removed to Trenton, N. J. 
339. Joseph4, b. September 28, 1708, m. Helena ____ ; he d. Nov. 10, 1757, Hopewell, N. J. (will). 
340. Nathaniel4, b. January 1, 1710, d. young.
341. Mary4, b. November 14, 1712, m. John Davis. Hopewell, N. J.
342. Abigail4, b. November 10, 1715, m. Samuel Washburn. 
343. Sackett4 b. September 3, 1716, Hopewell, N. J., m. May 15, 1738, Abigail Moore4 (Nathaniel3, m. Joanna Prudden, Capt.Samuel2, Rev. John1), 6. May 24, 1717, d. August 12, 1802 ; he died August 18, 1753, aet. 39 ; buried in Ewing Church yard, Trenton, N. J.  
344. Benjamin4, d. September 3, 1716, m. Mary Hart (John Sr., m. Sarah ____), d. Decembers, 1789, aet. 73 ; he d. June 5, 1790, aet. 74, Birmingham, N.J. (will). 
* * * * *
345. Anna4, b. March 21, 1718, unmarried, d. December 1, 1769.
346. Elizabeth4, b. March 28, 1720, m. Joseph Baldwin4 (Elnathan3. John2, John1), Hopewell, N. J., d. 1770 (will) ; she d. ____. 
347. Patience4, b. February 5, 1722, m. John Moore4 (Samue'3, m. Charity Hallett, Capt. Samuel2, Rev. John4). . 
348. Captain Samuel4, b. January 15, 1724, m. Abigail Field5 (Robert4, Elnathan3, Robert2, Robert1), d. January 15, 1805 ; he d. 1782 ±. 
349. Martha4, b. March 20, 1726, m. Joseph Titus4 (John3, Content2 m. Elizabeth Moore, Robert1), d. December 4, 1797, aet. 76 ; she d. April 4, 1801. 
350. Nathaniel4, b. January 15, 1728, m. Joanna Hall ; he d. September 29, 1781, 54th year. 
351. Phebe4, March 28, 1730, m., November 20, 1762, Foster Burrowes4 (Thomas3, Thomas2 of Hopewell, N. J., Edward1, of Jamaica, L. I.). 
352. Jemima4, b. Oct. 18, 1732, unmarried, d. April 11, 1758.