Excerpt from Rev. John Moore of Newtown, Long Island, and some of his descendants #ThomasElder #SimonColonist
Ted Smith #55
Excerpt from Rev. John Moore of Newtown, Long Island, and some of his descendants, James W. Moore, published 1903. This publication is available in several formats from https://archive.org/details/revjohnmooreofne00moor
TCS Note: I have shown footnotes from the text in brackets where their flag is positioned. The excerpt makes for interesting reading, not just because it mentions Sacketts, but also for what it reveals about church and community governance.Newtown today is the Elmhurst neighborhood in Queens Borough, New York City. Jamaica also is today a neighborhood in Queens Borough. The Sacketts mentioned are descendants of Thomas the Elder and Simon the Colonist.
In the matter of church government in New England, in early times the Independents or Congregationalists were pre-eminent, but later many Presbyterians came from Great Britain to escape religious persecution, and mingled with the early settlers. The Church of Newtown, Long Island, was not distinct from the town, and Rev. John Moore, its first minister, who was "permitted to preach in New England," was an Independent. The people of Newtown were "mostly Independents," although there were "many other Inhabitants, Presbyterians," who were "not able to maintain a Presbyterian preacher" [Documentary History of New York, III, 107]. Rev. Mr. Urquhart, in a letter dated as late as July 4, 1705, says that "the Inhabitants of this county (Queens), are generally Independents."
It is certain that up to the time of Mr. Pumroy's call, February 18, 1709, ordained November 30, 1709, close intercourse was maintained with the Congregational Church of New England, and that all ecclesiastical business was transacted by the inhabitants in public town meeting. It was not until September 13, 1715, when Mr. Pumroy made application to the Presbytery of Philadelphia for admission, that the church of this persuasion began in Newtown. Indeed, the distinctive feature of its church government was not established until June 28, 1724, when Content Titus, Samuel Coe and James Renne were made ruling elders. It seems to have been about this time that the Moore family divided in their ecclesiastical relations — a step of tremendous importance, made evident sixty years later, at the beginning of the revolution.
Injudicious methods pursued by the authorities, which the people resented, prevented the establishment of the Church of England in the province of New York for many years. Lord Cornbury, in 1702, ordered that Domine Freeman be not called to the Dutch churches at Kings; summoned the church wardens of Jamaica, all non-conformists, to appear before him, among whom were Thomas Willet, John Coe, Content Titus, Joseph Sackett ; directed the rioters, that is, dissenters, there to be prosecuted ; commissioned Rev. Mr. Honyman to be minister of that place ; ordered the sheriff to eject Mr. Hubbard from the parsonage, and put in Rev. Mr. Urquhart ; directed the minister's money to be paid to the latter ; ordered a public tax to be levied for the support of the minister ; and finally fined the church wardens and vestrymen of Jamaica for refusing to obey his orders, March 31, 1705 [Documentary History of New York, III, 143, 201-2-4-5-6-7]. This "true nursing father to our infancy here,"
The governor commissioned Rev. Mr. Goodhue to be Presbyterian minister of Jamaica, forbid Rev. Mr. Hubbard to preach in the church at Jamaica, and declared that it belonged to the Episcopalians. This "noble patron of the Church" failed in his efforts to force Episcopacy upon the people. The stormy pastorate of Rev. Thomas Poyer [Samuel Moore, Jr., and Charity, his wife, baptized August 6, 1713, at Hell Gate. Rev. Thomas Foyer's Register] followed, and it was under the ministrations of Rev. Thomas Colgan that the Church of England commenced to flourish. In 1733 a deed was drawn up for a part of the town lot for the location of a church, signed by ninety freeholders. Joseph Moore secured these signatures. In 1735 work was commenced upon the building, and five years passed before it was completely finished and furnished. The distribution of the pews gives the names of the prominent members :
"James Hazard, Esq., on the right band as you go in at the door, number one ; Joseph Moore, number two ; William Sackett, number three ; Benjamin Moore, number four ; Richard Alsop, number five ; this in the first quarter. The second quarter is the northeast corner of the house: Joseph Sackett, Esq., his seat is number one; John McDonnaugh and Charles Palmer and Thomas Morrell's seat is number two ; Samuel Washburn and Samuel Moore Younger's seat is number three; Samuel Hallett Jun's seat is number four ; Captain Samuel Moore's seat is number five. The third quarter is the north nor' west part of the house; William Moses Hallett's seat is number one; John Hallett's seat is number two; Thomas Hallett's seat is umber three; Jacob Blackwell's seat is number four ; Joseph Hallett, Esq., his seat is number five. There's no more seats nor ground taken up in the church."
In 1761 Newtown wished to have its own minister, apart from Jamaica and Flushing, and on September 2, of that year, petitioned Lieut. Governor Colden, in Council, to grant them an act of incorporation by which they might be empowered to call a clergyman. This petition was signed by thirty-four members of the communion. They were [Riker’s Annals, 249] :
James Hazard. Charles Palmer. Joseph Hallett.
Richard Alsop. William Sackett, 3d. Samuel Hallett.
William Sackett. Thomas Sackett. John Greenoak.
Samuel Moore. Samuel Renne. Richard Hallett.
Jacob Blackwell. Samuel Culver. William Hallett.
William Hazard. Robert Morrell. John McDonnaugh.
Jacob Hallett. William Weyraan. Robert Hallett.
Richard Alsop, 4th. William Hallett, Jun. Samuel Washburn.
John Moore. James Hallett. Nathaniel Moore.
John Moore, Jun. Thomas Hallett. Samuel Moore, 3d.
Samuel Moore, Jun. Samuel Hallett, Jun. Nathaniel Moore.
Thomas Morrell, Jun.
In the letters patent, James Hazard and Richard Alsop were appointed wardens; Samuel Moore, Jacob Blackwell, William Hazard, Jacob Hallett, Richard Alsop 4th, and William Sackett 3d, vestrymen, to serve till the annual election should occur. This was the origin of the separate existence of St. James's Church.
The emigrants from Long Island to New Jersey carried with them the idea of the church and schoolhouse. A deed [New Jersey Archives, 1st Series, 551, Appendix L.] dated March 18, 1698-9, recites the conveyance of one hundred acres of land by Gov. Basse and Thomas Revell, "for the erecting of a meeting-house and for burying ground and school house" to "Ralph Hunt, John Bainbridge, Johannes Lawrenson, William Hixson, John